(He Who created the seven heavens in layers. You will not find any flaw in the creation of the All-Merciful. Look again�do you see any gaps? Then look again and again. Your sight will return to you dazzled and exhausted! ) (Qur�an, 67:3-4)( He to Whom the kingdom of the heavens and the belongs. He does not have a son and He has no partner in the Kingdom. He created everything and determined it most exactly. ) (Qur�an, 25:2)
In the 1960s, some physicists observed that our universe appears to have been fine-tuned for the existence of human life. 2
Amazing fine tuning occurs in the laws that make this [complexity] possible. Realization of the complexity of what is accomplished makes it very difficult not to use the word �miraculous� without taking a stand as to the ontological status of the word. 3
- If it were weaker, the �s atmosphere would lose excessive quantities of water, making life impossible.�s atmosphere, which would have a most damaging effect on life.
- If the were any closer to the Sun, plants would burn up, the water cycle in the �s atmosphere would be irreparably damaged, and life would become impossible.
- If it were any thinner, the resulting amount of volcanic activity would make life impossible.
- If it were any faster, then atmospheric winds would reach enormous speeds, and cyclones and storms would make life impossible.
- If it were any weaker, then the would lose its protection against the harmful particles given off by the Sun and known as solar winds. Both situations would make life impossible.
- If it were any less, the greenhouse effect would lead to excessive warming. The would first be flooded with the melting of the glaciers, and would then burn up.
- If it were any less, vital functions would adversely slow down.
- If it were any less, the temperature of the atmosphere would fall.
- If it were any less, the would overheat and be defenceless against the harmful ultraviolet rays emitted by the Sun.�s temperature would fall enormously.
- If it were any less, the nutrients at the sea bottom would fail to spread into the water. This would have a damaging effect on life in the seas and oceans and all living things on .